Cannot force use of Broadcom stack

Topics: Bluetooth - Microsoft, Bluetooth - Widcomm/Broadcom
Jan 14, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Hi

I am trying to get the RSSI of paired devices and want to use the Broadcom stack to do this.

With v3.5 I am having problems getting the BluetoothRadio.PrimaryRadio property to pick up the Broadcom stack ahead of the MSFT stack. With tracing switched in I can see the following error occurring when the Broadcom stack is checked for validity:

Dependency DLL '32feetWidcomm' status: LoadLibraryAccessible.
Dependency DLL 'wbtapi' status: NotFound.
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Dependency DLL 'wbtapi' status: NotFound. ---> System.PlatformNotSupportedException: Dependency DLL 'wbtapi' status: NotFound. --->

Indeed, this dll does not exist on my test workstation.

Peeking at the source using IL Spy I can see that this dll is explicitly checked for as part of an array of strings:
    "32feetWidcomm",
    "wbtapi",
    "btwapi"
So, I either need a version of this library that does not rely on wbtapi.dll or I need to locate this dll from somewhere. Internet searches thus far have proved fruitless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad
Developer
Jan 15, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Edited Jan 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Have you installed the Broadcom stack?

RSSI is supported also on the BlueSoleil stack which might be easier to obtain/purchase. We should support that -- that's if they haven't changed their API again.

Note also:
"Note finally that firstly the RSSI measurement is not very precise, and secondly that devices can transmit at diffferent power level, so for instance a far away Class 1 device using a high power level could seem 'nearer' than a Class 3 device."
(https://32feet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Peer%20Device%20Information)
Dec 31, 2014 at 1:17 PM
Hello Brad,

I've excatly the same problem. Have you managed to get this working? Realy strange is that the test-application that is contained in der 32feet-package works fine and tells me that widcomm is ready...

Any help on this would be very nice

thanks

carl
Dec 31, 2014 at 1:23 PM
OK... this was faster than expected ;-)

You have to switch you application to x64... running an AnyCPU-Project on a 64 bit machine is not enought...