Chat2Desktop Sample Issues

Topics: Samples
May 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Edited May 12, 2013 at 4:57 PM
I have a Windows 7 Ultimate Desktop and a Windows 8 Laptop both with Visual Studio 2012 Professional installed that I am simply trying to get the Chat2Desktop sample to run and cannot. I have successfully manually paired both computers together. I then open up the Chat2Desktop csproj in VS2012 on both computers and replace the InTheHand.Net.Personal reference with the 32Feet.NET Nuget package (v3.5.0.0) and click Debug, Start Debugging. Then from each computer I select the "Connect by Select" menu option in the Chat2Desktop UI and select the appropriate paired computer. Here are the results from each computer (including the radio information). What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 Screenshot
Windows 8 Screenshot
Developer
May 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Only one applications needs to do connect. The other should be sitting idle waiting for the other to connect. It looks as if the two Bluetooth connections are getting in each others way...
May 14, 2013 at 4:10 AM
Thanks a lot for the reply Alan however I'm not sure I understand your reply. Are you saying I SHOULDN'T be running the Chat2Desktop project on both PCs because they are conflicting with each other somehow?

The only reason I am trying to get the Chat2Desktop sample to work is because I have tried using the InTheHand.Net.Personal assembly to write my own 2 apps (one as a BluetoothListener and the other as the BluetoothClient) and I can never get them to connect either. I get the same socket timeout error. They are dirt simple apps.

From the screenshot it appears that both PCs are using the Microsoft Bluetooth stack so I am really at a loss to why I can't get the two PCs to communicate. What could I provide you to help diagnose the problem? I would be more than happy to send you my code.

Thanks again for your help!
May 14, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Edited May 14, 2013 at 5:42 AM
Here are my test apps. Please note that there is very little error handling, etc.
Source
May 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM
I've been trying various things for the last 3 days and STILL can't get my 2 PCs to communicate. Please...any help is greatly appreciated.
May 16, 2013 at 5:44 AM
Edited May 16, 2013 at 5:45 AM
Well I have come to the conclusion that the problem probably isn't with my code or the sample code or the InTheHand.Net.Personal assembly but a Windows Bluetooth driver or configuration problem. Even though I can successfully pair the two PCs, I am unable to send files between the 2 PCs using the "built-in" Windows Bluetooth software. I get the same socket timeout error and the occasional "An invalid argument was supplied". <big sigh>