Bluetooth pairing - Android and Windows 7

Topics: Bluetooth - Microsoft
Nov 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Edited Nov 4, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hi! I have a question regarding two ways to connect an Android smartphone to Pc with windows 7 and 32feet libraries:

1) Android application starts listening with

listeningUsingInsecureRfcommWithServiceRecord(UUID)

on windwos I accept connection calling

smartphoneclient.connect(UUID)

In this case no pairing is requested, but is this connection secure?Is there an "hidden" pairing?

2)Android can starts listening also with

listeninfgUsingRfcommWithServiceRecord(UUID)

In this case, windows system shoots a pairing request. Can I "intercept" this request in my application and handle it in a way that does not require user interaction? 

Thanks

Developer
Nov 4, 2012 at 11:22 PM

For 1) what kind of "secure" do you mean? Confirmed what device we're connecting to? Or encrypted?

v2.1 tries to have every connection encrypted but that normally required pairing -- which can try to be implicit -- so it might not be encrypted in your case...

For 2). Does the dialog box on the PC say "confirm that this number is displayed on the other device's screen" or do you see something else? Anyway, use class BluetoothWin32Authentication and handle the callback. See http://32feet.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=BluetoothWin32Authentication You need different responses to that callback depending on whether v2.1 pairing is being used etc.

Also you should set BluetoothClient.Encrypt before calling Connect. According to MSDN "For outgoing connections, the connect function fails with WSAEACCES if encryption cannot be established." (and "In response, the application may prompt the user to authenticate the two Bluetooth devices before connection.").

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Sorry, I meant encrypted. Could this be a "Just Work" Simple Secure Pairing ?

Yes, i see the dialog you specified.

Thank you for support.

Developer
Nov 12, 2012 at 9:16 AM

If its asking for comparison of numbers then its Numeric Comparison and not its weaker form Just Works.