This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Bluetooth Low Energy support

Topics: Bluetooth - Other
Oct 12, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Edited Oct 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Hi, we are looking into using Bluetooth Low Energy 4.0 GATT profile chip in a device, but is that supported with the 32 feet library?

Best regards,

Rogier

Developer
Oct 19, 2012 at 2:26 PM

We expose a .NET API for the various Bluetooth stacks which have a C API. We haven't added any support for BLE. Do you know of stacks that do support BLE?

Oct 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I'm still figuring things out but I think Bluetopia has a stack:

http://www.stonestreetone.com/bluetopiaLE.cfm

Both Windows 8 and iOS (Ipad 3, 4S/5) have good 4.0 support out of the box (on iOS without going through MFI program!), for windows 8 see here:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/Bluetooth-Generic-4f4ea968

Leaves the question what to do with Windows 7/Vista/XP. One option is to go for a dual mode device, or have a supported 4.0 stack on these older platforms. I prefer the latter if possible.

Best regards,

Rogier

Developer
Nov 12, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Matthias Ringwalds open-source stack btstack has support for BLE. I've had btstack running on Windows in the past. Maybe that's a route too.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Thanks, I'll take a look. Our dev board from BlueRadios arrived this week, and I ordered a 4.0 usb stick for my laptop. They use an FTDI USB chip for talking to the dev board, which is exactly the chip we are using now to connect. So that part was easy :-).

BLE is an incredibly difference with 3.0 in terms of connecting and responsiveness, it really is the way to go. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Hi, well in the meantime I have received the hardware and the TI sniffer so I'm all set to do some work.

When I do a DiscoverDevices I see the device but once I try to connect to it I get a socket exception saying:

"A socket operation encountered a dead network "

This seems logical, as I'm not using L2CAP. BLE is also packet based. Matthias is basing his BLE support also on L2CAP.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM
Hi,

When i try to pair my device with Windows 8 laptop having Bluetooth version 4.0 which is low energy device, the device is getting removed from the devices and printers list. Is compatibility of 32 feet library is problem? Please advice.