Problems with the last version on .NET 2.0

Topics: Bluetooth - Widcomm/Broadcom
Aug 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hi all,

I've been already working with this amazing library when I was writing a software for Windows Mobile 5.0 and Compact .NET 2.0, and it worked perfectly. Now I want to pass the same software with the minimum modifications to Windows XP and .NET 2.0. I'm using a Lenovo Thinkpad with a Broadcom Bluetooth stack. Because of my company requirements/limitations, I have to use the Visual Studio 2005 and .NET 2.0.

The last version 3.5 of the library doesn't work on my laptop, and the value returned by "BluetoothRadio.IsSupported" is always false. However, if I go backward to the version 2.5, it works, although with the limitations of this version. Does anybody know why? Is it because the version of the Visual Studio and/or .NET?

Thanks a lot in advance,

JP

Developer
Aug 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM

What exception result from

var smokeTest = new BluetoothClient();

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:03 PM

System.PlatformNotSupportedException: No supported Bluetooth protocol stack found.

And, if I go to the directory "32feet.NET\Broadcom\Win32-x86" and I launch "Test32FeetWildcommWin32.exe", it says:

Didn't find 32feetWidcomm.dll DLL! ...

No dialog is shown. The DLL is in the same path !?!?. And, by the way, there is the event log??

I'm using a Windows XP professional SP 3.

Thanks!

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Well, I guess that I've found out what happens: I'm using the Visual Studio 2005, without Service Pack (it's the official version right now of my company); and it seems that the 32feetwindcomm.dll and btwapi.dll need the run time of a higher version of Visual Studio 2005 (maybe SP1?). Well, is it possible to obtain these libraries compiled with the basic version of Visual Studio 2005, please?

Developer
Aug 24, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Edited Aug 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Ahh yes this problem. :-(

It doesn't matter which version of VS you are using, since you are luckily not having to compiler the native Widcomm DLL . Instead it depends on which version of the C++ libraries were on my machine at the time I compiled it. That changes each time MSFT releases a security update for them.  The release notes say:

"The current DLLs for desktop Windows are built with VS2005 so will need its Visual C++ Runtime components installed, get them from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=fb01abe6-9099-4544-9aec-0ac13f19bc50 “Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update”."

EDIT: That link no longer works. :-( See instead http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26347

Can you try installing that and let me know if that solves it.

Thanks