AVRCP control of Android Phone

Topics: Bluetooth - Other, Samples
Jun 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Hi

I am trying to implement what is probably the reverse of what most people have written apps for. I want to implement an AVRCP controller on a Windows 7 PC so the audio player is an Android phone and Windows is just the audio output and controller.

Basically I want to have

1) Audio source - Android phone - Samsung Galaxy S III so ICS 4.0.4

Audio sink - Windows 7 PC using either Intel 6230 bluetooth or cheap Chinese CSR type device.

2) AVRCP Controller - Windows 7 PC as above

AVRCP target - Android phone as above (ideally Spotify but PowerAmp seems to have better AVRCP support at the moment).

I have 1) working OK on the Intel machine with the standard drivers. No issues there and works quite well even at quite a distance. No skips or pops or clicks or anything :)

I'm struggling with 2). I've tried the SDPBrowser tool (as an example of the 32feet library) and can't get it to connect eventhough it finds and lists the servers. I have had the SDPBrowser working with a simple Bluetooth chat program.

With the BlueSoleil drivers installed, it comes with a little popup app that allows play/pause/skip etc this so I think the phone side of things is fine. I just need the right drivers/source on the Windows side. It costs money and I'm not sure it's the greatest bit of software written so I'd prefer to stay with the OEM drivers. 

I really need source code too so I can build it into an app but I'd settle for a binary to at least prove what I want to do is possible with the current drivers.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Should I be able to implement this with the 32feet library? I've found some references in the source but I don't really understand how to implement them or if they work. A simple example is all I need I think. There was also a post here which seemed to imply AVRCP would only work with Broadcom/Widcomm stacks.

Thanks

Christian

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Basically I want to do just this:

Where the player is an Android phone (or any other phone) and the two controllers are a single Windows 7 PC but the two parts are separate apps.

Jun 18, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Hmm. Found this from here: http://www.alanjmcf.me.uk/comms/bluetooth/Bluetooth%20Profiles%20and%2032feet.NET.html#_Toc266869894

AVRCP

Not supported nor supportable by 32feet.NET.

Use BluetoothDeviceInfo.SetServiceState to tell Windows to use the service.

I can't even get that to work though (same problem when trying to even initiate the A2DP). Even then what would be the source of the control sent to the phone? At least with A2DP it gets routed to the Windows Audio.