Bluetooth HFP

Topics: Bluetooth - BlueSoliel, Bluetooth - Microsoft
Jan 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Hi, 

Just wondering if there is any option available to code a hfp client on the computer (i use visual basic 2010 on Windows 7), where the phone automatically connects and routes it's audio and optionally controls through the pc.

I know about setservicestate, but that only turns the service on, it doesn't actually cause a phone to discover and connect to the service or allow control of it.

Bluesoleil offers it's own API for hfp, but for several reasons i've not been able to figure out how to use that. Maybe that's something that 32feet could be expanded to support more fully? 

I can't believe such a common use case for Bluetooth is so hard to do on Windows.  I'm on the verge of switching to Linux and Mono just because Bluez is the only way i've seen that actually works.

Any possible answers are much appreciated.

Developer
Feb 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Does Windows support HSP/HFP as the headset component?  I know it supports it as the AG (audio gateway) but I'm not sure about the other way around.  (So it will act as the 'phone' for a headset, but will it act as a headset for a phone?)

Is there an *UI* in Windows for doing the actions that your need to do programmatically?

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Doesn't look like it's possible on Windows. I've tried with both my Iphone 4 and my Windows Phone running mango.  

Both devices make Windows complain about not having appropriate drivers.  It's a pity since Microsoft's BT stack seems very good at handling BT keyboards and mice, just nothing else.

Guess i'm stuck with Bluesoleil then, if only i can get them to figure out why my paid license keeps expiring every few weeks i'd be ok with that.

Has anyone else used the Bluesoleil SDK for hfp?  As a primarily vb dotnet developer i'm struggling to understand how to call it.  
Does 32feet expose the connection handle that it creates to the Bluesoleil SDK? since that would appear to be required to be passed to the hfp functions.

Developer
Feb 14, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Widcomm's standard support for Wnnidows Vista and 7 is to use the Microsoft stack but layer their profiles over it.  I *presume* they have support for HFP in both directions. So that might help.  However I don't know whether one can get hold of that software without buying a dongle that includes it...

May 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

There is an implementation for Bluesoleil Driver with hfp. Some guy write a wrapper for automotive applications. See on www.mp3car.com in forum, but I don't remember if registration is required.